10 Years | 120 Months | 522 Weeks | 3650 Days | 86700 Hours | 315360000 Seconds
A business reaching its 10th anniversary is a tremendous milestone. A milestone our team is proud of and enormously grateful to have reached. I could write a book – or series of books – with all of the impactful, meaningful, challenging, funny, happy, scary, and gratifying moments over the last 10 years. So many stories of our team’s journey and what got us “here,” and all of the things that excite us about the future. Forcing myself to be concise, I have narrowed those stories down to our Top 10 Insights (plus, one to grow on) that we have learned along the way.
- Your team matters, but the size of it doesn’t. Having a smaller team promotes flexibility and encourages innovation. Fewer people with the right talent and passion can often accomplish more than larger, less agile teams. Talent, drive, attitudes, and dedication trumps head count every time. I’ll take a small and mighty team over a large, unenthusiastic team every day of the week.
- People want to be heard, but more importantly, people want to be understood. Ask good questions and listen with an open and fervent mind. Most people want to talk about their background, their path, their team, and their company. When you ask questions, don’t just listen, be great about truly hearing what someone is saying. When you hear people, you connect with people. Connection is the ultimate goal. Human connections shape our experiences, and help us grow both personally and professionally.
- Don’t settle for “good” when “great” is just around the corner. Putting in a little extra time and effort to make something better is (usually) the right thing to do. Irritatingly so, at times.
- If our team is entrusted to make people and companies better, then we better be challenging ourselves to be better. Every. Single. Day. This means asking for feedback and taking to heart the good intentions of trusted team members who are willing to be honest. Each of our team members has grown tremendously by being open and listening to each other, hearing feedback, and working to continuously improve every day.
- New perspectives challenge established practices. The way we’ve always done it might just be the way we should never do it again. Perspective is looking at something with a new lens or the ability to consider the same circumstances differently. Seek out the fresh lens and be open to a new way. Diverse thoughts and ideas drive innovation and exceptional outcomes. This approach may be wildly uncomfortable, but usually with discomfort comes growth.
- Working with strong, dedicated, and talented women is an honor and a privilege. We get to collaborate with our closest friends who share a common goal of helping our clients excel. We push each other to be better and better each day. And we have a blast doing it.
- It’s OK to say, “I don’t know,” especially when it’s followed by “…but I’ll figure it out!” It isn’t about having the answers. It is about having the humility and grace to not know it all and to seek answers and help.
- Work/life balance is real. Work can be hard AND fun at the same time. Know when to unplug and when to kick it into gear.
- Really long email addresses are a pain (i.e. @a-c-c-e-n-d-o-i-n-t-e-r-n-a-t-i-o-n-a-l.com).
- People matter most. People Matter(s) is not just a motto, it is our way of life. Whether it’s our clients or our Accendo team, we try to uncover ways to help individuals, teams, and organizations be better – person by person – every day.
- Days may be long, but years are short. You can work with a group of amazing people who you adore and admire and have both success and a whole lot of fun along the way. We are proof!
Behind each insight is a story, a manifestation of an idea or a dream, the passion of a team, a crazy idea, a provocative challenge, an individual’s commitment to their craft, the vulnerability of humans, the power of teamwork, and the relentless pushing of our own brains – and those we work alongside – to be better. Us. Only Better. This helps us make You. Only Better.
Happy milestone to any organization who reaches the next stop on the path.
Sign up for the Accendo newsletter